Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Poacher's Son

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: 2010, arc, fiction, mystery
Read from March 17 to 18, 2010

I'm going to split my review of this book into three separate parts. Beginning, Middle and End.

Beginning: It gets off to a slow start. The back and forth with only a bit of information given in both is, while I understand necessary, confusing and left me feeling, honestly, a bit bored. It didn't grab my attention like other mystery/suspense novels do at the start and it left me feeling like I might have a hard time getting into the story.

Middle: The story finally gets moving around chapter 7 or so.. but really picks up around chapter 18. Finally it got to that point that I look for in mystery novels that I didn't want to put it down. I was completely taken in by the story and making assumptions right and left and being constantly surprised.

End: About fifteen pages from the end I kept looking at the book and thinking..there's no way Doiron can wrap this all up. He did, however it felt rushed and incomplete, but perhaps that was just me reeling from the shock of the ending. My biggest complaint was that the book felt about 20-30 pages too short.

Overall, it's an intense, brutal suspense/mystery read and one worthy of checking out. I'm not normally a big reader of this genre but it seems like, especially for a debut author, Doiron did a great job of carving a niche for himself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poacher's Son.