Donna's Reviews > Animals Make Us Human

Animals Make Us Human by Temple Grandin

Mar 28, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, 2010-audiobooks, source-library, genre-non-fiction
Read from March 18 to 28, 2010

Whenever I pick up a Temple Grandin book I have the very selfish goal of gleaning all i can from it about animal training and behavior. I don't care if she repeats something, or if she goes off on a tangent - I'm busy inhaling what she has to say - not how she says it.

The one thing i know about Temple's books is that i can count on her advice working. I have used some of her ideas before and am looking forward to using some of it again. I'm also finding that some of the techniques she reported on, especially with dogs, are starting to find their way to the general public. A few weekends ago I attended a seminar on animal behavior at Colorado State University, and the professor there did an entire session on how dominance training doesn't really work. There were some pretty shaken dog owners in the class.

One of the other things you cannot help but notice is that her chapter on chickens is pretty strong. This is Food, Inc. material and for me, who grew up on a small farm, raising truly free range chickens, was tough to take. I do appreciate that she pulled no punches though.

I also appreciate that Temple takes the time from her busy schedule to write books about animals for the lay person. It's a privilege to have the chance to learn from a truly gifted animal behaviorist/trainer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals Make Us Human.

03/18/2010 page 2