Brittany's Reviews > Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals

Reaching the Animal Mind by Karen Pryor

Mar 24, 10

bookshelves: sciencewriting, favorites
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from March 17 to 23, 2010

The more books by Karen Pryor I read, the more I want to read books by Karen Pryor.

The cover of this book was a bit misleading. My copy, at least, has a picture of a happy dog on it. That and the words "clicker training" in the title led me to believe it was mainly about clicker training in dogs. This couldn't be more incorrect. There are dogs in here of course; but they keep company with plenty of cats, ferrets, dolphins, whales, miniature horses, gymnasts, autistic children, and golfers.

Pryor is a vivid and entertaining storyteller. In this book, she surveys the concept of clicker training, answers all your questions, and explores its broader applications in communicating with people for whom communication is difficult (autistic children) and in teaching other humans (gymnasts and commercial fishermen, for instance).

The book is fascinating, and Pryor keeps it humming a long with lots of stories, humor, and asides. Her natural gift for conversational storytelling makes this book a joy to read, and, by the time you're done with it, you're wondering at what point everyone else will read the book, internalize its messages, and humanity will take its next great leap forward.

As a great supplement, there's a website for the book, with photos, videos, and links to scientific papers. This is the first time I've read a book with an accompanying website, and I adored it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reaching the Animal Mind.

03/18/2010 page 19
03/19/2010 page 75
27.57% "The more I read of Karen Pryor, the more I think her books should come with "Accept No Dog Whisperer" stickers."
show 2 hidden updates…