Michael's Reviews > The Rape of Europa: The Fate of Europe's Treasures in the Third Reich and the Second World War

The Rape of Europa by Lynn H. Nicholas

M 50x66
Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, history

This book was assigned summer reading when I was in high school. I was in the IB program, and we were going to discuss this book extensively in my social studies class. I hated it. It seemed so tedious and just packed through with boring facts. This is what happened to work of art A; this is what happened to work of art B; this is what happened to work of art C... On and on. So I didn't read much of it. I sort of skimmed. Really it probably couldn't even be called skimming. I was really afraid I was going to have a serious problem in class.

I was relieved to find when school started that NONE of the other students had read it either. The teacher mentioned the book a couple of times, but we never really discussed it and after the first week he never brought it up again. I don't know if he realized that no one had read it and gave up or what.

I wonder if I would have a different opinion now, a little more mature and knowing/caring a little more about both art and history. We will probably never know because I am still too traumatized from my earlier experience to give it another shot.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rape of Europa.