Karen's Reviews > Leaving Cold Sassy: The Unfinished Sequel to Cold Sassy Tree

Leaving Cold Sassy by Olive Ann Burns

Mar 17, 10

Read in March, 2010

This is the unfinished sequel to "Cold Sassy Tree" which I read last summer. The author died before this story was finished, but she had such a strong response from fans to write a sequel that she wanted it published even if it wasn't finished (and obviously so did her publisher). The story picks up 11 years after the first book, still narrated by Will Tweedy, who is now 25 years old, graduated from college, out in the work force, and looking to get married. There isn't much to tell about the book, frankly, because it didn't really get started in my opinion. It was also disappointing because just as I was getting into it, the book ended. The author had alluded to so much that she never got to explain. One thing I didn't like though was there was too much back and forth between past-present-future. Anyway, the second half of the book was written by the author's editor and friend. It was very interesting, explaining how Olive Ann Burns didn't become an author until age 60, when she began to write as "therapy" after bouts with cancer. And the stories in both books are based on her family and life in the south. There was much discussion about where she wanted to take the sequel, so I guess in the end I did feel like I knew what was going to happen to the characters, and that helped. But the author was so sick so often that after awhile her life sotry was too much to read about for me. It felt like the same story over and over as O.A. Burns was bedridden almost too many times to count, and then her husband got cancer too..... I know it was her life story, but I felt like it just went on too long with too many details when nothing much really happened. But I will say that I was inspired by O.A.'s will to live and her acceptance of what was happening to her was nothing short of amazing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leaving Cold Sassy.