Mandy's Reviews > Gods in Alabama

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

Mar 17, 10

Read from March 11 to 15, 2010 — I own a copy

AMAZING book! I really loved this story and didn't want to put it down. The storyline is haunting and occasionally dark, but the humor getting there is priceless. This is very well worth reading. My favorite story here is a great example of why I'll be reading more Joshilyn Jackson

I wracked my brain, trying to sufficiently explain the power of Florence. Finally, I said, "Let me tell you a story. Growing up, our closest neighbor was Mrs. Weedy. She was an older lady. A widow with no kids. But she had this pet chicken named Phoebe. And she loved Pheobe insanely. I mean tht literally. She was not mentally well on the subject of Phoebe. And whenever my cousins Wayne and Clarice did something great and Aunt Flo would try to brag on them, Mrs. weedy would interrupt with a long tale of Phoebe's latest accomplishments.

"According to Mrs. Weedy, Phoebe understood English, liked country music, had political opinions and a passionate personal relationship with Jesus. But all Phoebe every really did was drop chicken poop and scratch around.

"After Wayne died, Mrs. Weedy came over with a ham-and-green-bean casserole and told my aunt Flo, 'Honey, I know exactly how you feel. I can't imagine if I lost Phoebe! Phoebe and I will pray for you.'

"Clarice told me this story. She was only eight when Wayne died, but she remembered Mrs. Weedy coming by with the casserole. She watched Aunt Flo's fingers get whiter and whiter as she clutched the dish. After Mrs. Weedy left, Clarice watched Florence deliberately open her hands and let the casserole dish fall and smash on the floor.

"About two weeks later, Mrs. Weedy did lose Phoebe. Clarice told me she was playing out on the porch, and she heard Mrs. Weedy calling until she had no voice left, and Phoebe never came. And the next day, my aunt Flo took Mrs. Weedy a chicken chili cheese pie and said how sorry she was."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods in Alabama.