Christina's Reviews > 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide for the Primary Grades: The Complete Guide For The Primary Grades

6 + 1 Traits of Writing by Ruth Culham

May 04, 2010

bookshelves: education-writing
Read from March 17 to May 04, 2010

This is a great book for teaching writing to kids, especially if you agree with the basic premise that children should learn to come up with their own topics and ideas for writing and learn to self-assess. By breaking down writing into 6-7 "traits," the author makes teaching and assessment more meaningful to children. Although the assessment aspect (which I realize comprises the bulk of the book) was not MY main focus, I found it extremely useful in learning how to provide helpful, constructive comments to my children in their writing--and also in what to reasonably expect my children to accomplish in the primary grades.

Culham begins the book by discussing the theory behind teaching kids to write and uses research to back up her ideas (I'm sure there are opposing theories out there with their own research . . . there always are). She gives assessment charts for teachers, as well as for students (K-2). Best of all, she includes discussions of HOW to teach each writing trait, ideas for activities (many of which we've successfully used), and lists of children's books that exemplify each trait. I've already purchased my own copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 6 + 1 Traits of Writing.