Cara St.Hilaire's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Apr 05, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in April, 2010

I'll start by saying that I am a crime novel addict. This book absolutely delivered exactly what I crave...that burning feeling that even while driving down the road, I wished I could read just a few more pages. I carried the book with me just in case I had a second in the grocery store parking lot to get back to the story. You know what I mean -- the kind of novel that keeps you up long after you should have turned your light out to get some sleep.

The story grabs you right from the start with a depressed female college student's (Allison) death and then it hurtles you into a web of corruption and small-town police politics in a seemingly sleepy southern town where everyone has a secret. The deceit is contrasted by the upstanding, by-the-books investigator (Will) sent in from Atlanta to dig deep to find the truths at all costs. Through bad police work and cover-ups to dealing with the emotional dramas of old conflicts, there are a million ups and downs that will keep you turning page after page.

The main reason that I’m not giving this 5 stars is due to the climax. The intense roller coaster ride of a thriller leads to a somewhat lukewarm and almost unbelievable climax that leaves you with the feeling of being a wee bit let down. Also, there were a few (minor) discrepancies in the writing -- such as Allison’s thoughts mentioning that she lives in an apartment, yet you learn later that she lived in a house. However, this won't stop me from reading the author’s other novels. This is the first Slaughter novel I have read and judging by the descriptions, her other stories seem to lead up to the tense relationships that are involved in this story as well. If you are a crime thriller buff, you should indeed add this to your collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.