Kate's Reviews > Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Abraham Lincoln by Seth Grahame-Smith

May 06, 12

bookshelves: 2012, age-adult, historical-fiction, vampires
Read from April 22 to May 05, 2012

I've been wanting to read this ever since it came out, but with the movie coming up next month, I needed to get a move on. The trailer looks pretty awesome, so I was excited about reading it.

The author, working quietly at a small store in a small town, is given a set of journals by a mysterious visitor. The visitor asks that the author use this source material to write a book. At first the author is not sure whether to take these journals supposedly written by Abraham Lincoln seriously. Mostly because if they are real, it means Abraham Lincoln hunted vampires.

What follows is the text of a book that reads much like a history or biography, the tale of Lincoln's life, complete with footnotes and quotes from the journals, about how Lincoln met his first vampire and after his mother was killed by one, how he vowed to kill every vampire in America, a vow which eventually led to the Civil War.

I don't know much about Abe Lincoln's life, and this is one of those cases where I wished I knew more to see how much of this was fiction and how much fact. It read like fact, which unfortunately made this a bit dry. In particular, after Abe marries and starts a family and isn't on the road slaying vampires, the story really crawled along. The dream sequences which were added in to spice up the non-action during these slow parts were confusing and didn't add much to the story.

Although I can't really give this a very high rating due to the above reasons, when I take into consideration a similar type of story I read recently, Henry VIII, Wolfman, this was very well done. It kept a serious tone throughout and made a ridiculous idea sound like fact, and made a great president seem even more like a hero rather than making a mockery of him. I loved that Edgar Allan Poe has a cameo, as well. It was a worthwhile read, especially if you are looking to learn about Abe Lincoln's life with a bit more fun than a history text.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abraham Lincoln.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janina finally!

Kate The movie comes out in June but I had put a hold on the ebook and it finally became available!

Janina I cannot wait for this movie!

Kate The trailer looks AWESOME!!

Janina I think I'll like the movie better than the book. LOL

Kate I'm almost done with it but yeah, it's starting to drag now that he's not hacking up vampires with his axe anymore...

Janina Seriously! I had to put it down. I got bored.

message 8: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy Great review, I think I might give this one a try.... That movie trailer looks sooooooo good!!!!! I'm debating whether to just watch the movie or to read the book first?!?!?!?!?!?