Sarah's Reviews > A Girl Named Zippy

A Girl Named Zippy by Haven Kimmel

F_50x66
Mar 17, 10

Read in March, 2010

I really loved this book. The book was laugh out loud - in some parts I actually tried unsuccessfully to make myself quit laughing.

Kimmel has a very wry sense of humor and obviously had fond memories of her childhood. She paints a wonderful picture of Mooreland and all the eccentric characters who lived there, but she also (ever so briefly) would touch on real life issues that made the story even more realistic - her father's gambling, child abuse, alcoholism, poverty, etc.

There are certain things outside the text of the book that have left me even more curious. She spent her whole childhood denying God, but when you read her biography it says she attended Earlham's School of Religion. Also, she dedicated the book to her mother and sister and absent friends (I'm assuming Dana), and yet in the story her mother was such a mystery to her and she seemed to be completely enamored with her father. Was the book an attempt to regain the vision she had of her father when she was young and to better understand her mother? What's the deal? And what's up with her brother? He was not there much, and when he was, her words were not at all flattering.

A great (and quick) read. She most certainly has a creative and literary gift - and I will probably die from exhaustion if I ever wind up having a child like her!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Zippy.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leslie The next memoir is about her mother. It's called something like 'She Got Up Off the Couch'. Judy's reviewed it here. Our library doesn't have any Haven Kimmel books, so I'll have to try elsewhere to find the book.