Ellz Readz's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Mar 17, 10

Read in March, 2010

My thoughts...I have gotten in the habit lately of NOT reading the book summary for fear of spoilers. So I went into this knowing the cover is brilliant and the author is bubbling with personality, a bit risky I know. The prologue, which quickly reveals this is a sort of Little Red Riding Hood tale, instantly sets me on the edge of my seat, chewing on my lip. It is scary, edgy and intense-and that's just the prologue.

The actual story starts years later, when the March sisters, Scarlett and Rosie live in a small cottage where they live as hunters. They search for and destroy the creatures that destroyed their former lives and their innocence. We also meet Silas, the young woodsman who lives up the road. His fate has let him on a similar path, although it is clear early on he does not embrace his fate like Scarlett March does. I felt that all of the characters were brilliantly written. I could sympathize with each of the March sisters and their unique situations.

I have to admit once I discovered this was a fairy tale remake, I was a bit concerned. Fortunately, there was no reason for concern. Sisters Red takes some of the themes from Little Red and uses them to create a very exciting paranormal tale. The story is full of suspense, the kind where you want to warn the characters to "turn around" or "don't talk to them". Aside from the action, this blooms into a love story, a bittersweet one. I found myself torn between heart and head, wanting peace for all the characters involved. I did find the twist a bit predictable, but this just allowed me to enjoy the details of the story more. It actually built my anticipation, waiting to see how things would unfold.

Overall, this is a wonderful book for fans of YA of any age. I did not notice an abundance of foul language or sexual situations (just some mild kissing). The book is rated ages 15 and up, I imagine due to the violence. Some of the scenes are pretty grizzly. For my first fairy tale retelling, this one set the bar pretty high!

Cover LOVE? Just now, I realize the wolf's face in the picture. All I noticed before was the two sisters. Brilliant. This is one of my favorite covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sharon I totally agree.
If you read the summary, it will give the whole thing away.
Especially in series.