Amanda's Reviews > The Myth of You and Me

The Myth of You and Me by Leah Stewart

May 03, 07

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: anyone who has had a best friend
Read in May, 2006

Leah Stewart's "The Myth of You and Me" (273)

I originally picked up this book because I loved the cover...my favorite color is red and I was sucked in by sassy red mitten and hand holding. Then I was expecting an overly sentimental tale about best friends, but what I got was a beautifully written story of two friends who made choices that changed them forever. As a person who has lost a best friend, this book touched me immensely. I've read the book several times now and each time I am in awe of Stewart's vivid story telling. I've given this book to everyone I know and I love hearing people tell me they enjoyed it as much as I did.

Quotes I loved:

"So Sonia was not my only, or even my first, best friend. She was the last. It wasn’t that I hadn’t made friends since, just that I thought myself past the age of that particular kind of friendship."

"Adult friendship doesn’t grant you an exclusive, isn’t meant to be ranked above romance and family. I couldn’t imagine ever living that moment again, when you say, with a shy and hopeful pride, 'You’re my best friend.' The other person says it back and, there, you have chosen each other, out of everyone in the world. You have fallen in love and said so."

"All at once it strikes me that as well as I know Sonia, I know only one version of her—that all you know of a life are the places where it touches your own."

"For some reason I feel slightly affronted. I say, 'I’m a realist.' Sonia laughs. 'You’re not a realist,' she says. 'You’re a dreamer who doesn’t believe in the dream.'"

EDIT May 2013: After at least 6 additional reads, I still love this book as much as the first time I read it. The story holds up as beautiful and personal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Myth of You and Me.

Quotes Amanda Liked

Leah Stewart
“Here was the secret of this house, the thing it took bravery to face -- that to go on loving someone means to over and over again allow the necessary pain. ”

Leah Stewart
“So Sonia was not my only or even my first best friend. She was the last. It wasn t that I hadn t made friends since just that I thought myself past the age of that particular kind of friendship. Adult friendship doesn t grant you an exclusive isn t meant to be ranked above romance and family. I couldn t imagine ever living that moment again when you say with a shy and hopeful pride You re my best friend. The other person says it back and there you have chosen each other out of everyone else in the world. ”

Leah Stewart
“A happy ending isn't really the end. It's just the place where you choose to stop telling the story.”