jo mo's Reviews > The Hollow

The Hollow by Jessica Verday

Jun 16, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy, partly-read, series, reviews, 2-stars, bleh-or-snooze, ghosts-or-genies
Read in March, 2010

Abbey's best friend Kristen dies or so the whole town believes, because the body hasn't been found yet. She finds consolation in doing the things she would've done were Kristen with her. Hanging out at Sleepy Hollow's cemetery. Talking to (dead) Mr Irving. Looking for new things. There she also meets Casper Caspian, who seems to be more than meets the eye.

I read 3/4 of the book and skimmed through the rest. The pacing of the book was kind of off. Slow. Not that much suspense. Mrs Verday must've thought the suspense she created through the mysterious Casper Caspian and the unsolved case of Kristen's whereabouts were enough. Which it sadly weren't. The idea itself wasn't original either, - entwining a classic (Irving's Sleepy Hollow) with the author's own story. I guess the potential was there, but it wasn't tastefully done. So, there you go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hollow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Astoria His name is Caspian! Not Casper, he doesn't get that nickname until the second book and apparently you haven't read that.
If you are not going to read the book all the way(skimming does not count) you have no right to review the book. Also, the reason these things aren't answered now is because a)its saved for the second book and b) how would she even find the guy, all she had was a diary entry and the initial D.
I'll admit that the first one is not good in some ways but the second one is amazing and if you think that the ghost thing wasn't expanded enough, i recommend you read the second one.
And frankly in a time where practically every original idea that's not too absurd has been through the ringer, its a little unfair to dock points for that. Ghosts have been done way to many times for that to happen.

message 2: by jo (last edited Apr 07, 2011 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo Astoria wrote: "His name is Caspian! Not Casper, he doesn't get that nickname until the second book and apparently you haven't read that.
If you are not going to read the book all the way(skimming does not count)..."

Caspian it is. I'm sorry if I offended you by not giving the book more points. Not. And it is my decision whether or not to review a book (even if I skimmed through it), not yours. You're in no way obligated to read my review, I'm not holding a gun pointed to your head.