Cynthia's Reviews > Beach Music

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

F_50x66
Mar 17, 10

Read in March, 2010

This book was recommended to me by a patron from Cook Library. Great book, although too long I felt it could have skipped some of the World War II horror anc still accomplished the fact that Shyla's parents were the way they were because of it. Very visual with the scenes and history in South Carolina. The McCall boys seemed a little extreme in many instances but probably accurate. John Hardin naturally was out of control and I wondered if people really let him live that way but I am happy he was in the story.

Additionally, because I was planning the trip to South Carolina (quite by accident that I was reading the book at the same time) so all the islands, bridges, towns and places of interest were especially clear in my mind. Also quite ironic that the mom, Lucy McCall died in the book not unlike my mom in the time frame that I was reading it.

I enjoyed the authors visual scenes of South Carolina in the "low country". The end result is knowing that family, even with all the crazies and quirks of the individuals, is still the best thing going in our life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beach Music.