Mary's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Mar 21, 10

bookshelves: proofs, teen-fiction
Recommended to Mary by: publishing rep
Recommended for: teen readers
Read from March 16 to 20, 2010, read count: 1

This is going to be rambly; I warn you. Also, I try not to talk too much about plot when the book hasn't been published (in the UK) yet.

Yet again, I am guilty of diving into a Hachette proof when it has been in my hands for all of 5 minutes. I cannot resist fairytales. These guys know how to pick and promote a book, let me tell you - if I had some way of showing you the promo fold-out that I got.. the art work is wonderful.

Sisters Red takes Little Red Riding Hood into the 21st century, and with a good twist.

Scarlett and Rosie March hunt fenris - commonly known as werewolves - in the small town of Ellison, Georgia. Ever since the fenris attack on their home - in which they lost their grandmother and Scarlett lost an eye protecting Rosie - they have devoted themselves to protecting the unwitting population from these men-turned-wolves.

But things have changed; there are more fenris now, and from packs that don't usually venture into Ellison. There has been a string of killings in Atlanta, where the packs seem to be amassing...

I am often very bad at reading teen fiction - rather ironic, considering it's one of the departments I buy for.

It took almost nothing to sell me on Sisters Red, and I started reading it less than 5 minutes after it was given to me. I have no willpower when it comes to anything fairytale-related. Also, the author's first tile was As You Wish, which I chose to believe was a Princess Bride reference - an opinion that reading Sisters Red did not disabuse me of, as the movie is mentioned. Thumbs up, I say.

I had a lot of trouble deciding how to rate this book - I wish there was something between 3 and 4 stars, because 3 always seems so low.

Sisters Red is well written - a pleasant change from some of the weaker titles I have trudged through lately. Although I really cannot handle page upon page of teen girls mooning over their "love", the rest of the writing was strong enough to get me through the occasional oestrogen-fest.

The mythology is interesting and well thought out. Although I predicted the ending not too long after starting the book, I don't want to fault it too much for that either as it was an enjoyable read and offered some pretty different characters. Scarlett, especially, certainly has a lot going on.

This is very much a teen novel - but I am very excited about selling it because I thoroughly intend to give it to Twilighters who have never read a good book in their lives.

It is also the first modern fairytale adaptation I have read that has worked. I recommend to teens and fairytale enthusiasts alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.

03/17/2010 page 50
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anni I totally loved this book. I am also a great fan of fairy tale adaptations.

message 2: by travelmel (new)

travelmel Twilighters who have never read a good book in their lives.