Michele's Reviews > Churchill: A Life

Churchill by Martin Gilbert

Dec 14, 12

bookshelves: books-of-2010

Books this big, have to be life changing. Just getting through them changes your life in some small way. He was such a fascinating man. I think he is the kind that would drive a wife crazy, but he did so much for his country. There were times I could not put it down, it was so fascinating. There were times I had to force myself to keep going, and had to make myself keep reading. Of course, I felt like I learned a lot. That is the beauty of our book group. You read things you probably never would have found the time for. It makes you stretch and branch out to be sure.
I dated a Winston. Maybe I would have been nicer to him, had I read this first!

One thing I loved was they said he knew how to live in the moment. He had an incredible capacity to get things done.

Fave quotes: 887 Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.

To Hitler: pg 703: You do your worst, and we will do our best. (Let every one kill a Hun.)

He always wrote on his items for work: Action this Day. It would be resolved and worked on that day!683

Positive comments to France page 681

His speeches: 627: Never in their experience had they seen a single speech so change the temper of the House.

608 His joie di vivre. The fact that he could remain so positive and bubbly.

505 He talks about his personality and his poisoned arrows.

The rich 493: Cultured people are merely the glittering scum which floats upon the deep river of production.

492: His other evidence for a Deity was the existence of Lenin and Trotsky-for whom a hell was needed. I laughed out loud when I read this.

385 A real gem in a crisis (Wilson)

342 I have never known an officer take such pains to inspire confidence or to gain confidence, recalled MacDavid. Indeed he inspired confidence in gaining it.

279 early confidence in winning war

205 I have much confidence in my judgment on things.

76 I have faith in my star-that I am intended to do something in this world. If I am mistaken- what does it matter? My life has been a pleasant one and though I should regret to leave it it would be a regret that perhaps I should never know.

His confidence in himself was truly inspiring. Also, the fact that he kept a journal and kept track of everything made a huge difference to his career, I think. An amazing man!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Churchill.