Jerry's Reviews > Linchpin: Are You Indispensable?

Linchpin by Seth Godin

Mar 16, 10

Read in March, 2010

Quite simply the most profound book about business, creativity, and the future of work that I've ever read. Though I've been a fan of Seth Godin's for a while, this book makes me realize that everything else he's ever written was preparation for this masterpiece. It's like he's channeling wisdom about how to contribute, connect, and create with compassion and excitement from some other plane. Really, it's that good.

Though the title may make it sound like the book is about how to make yourself indispensable, the truth of Seth's premise is more subtle and intriguing. It's that we each already are indispensable and have to rid ourselves of that which makes us mundane. He goes into both the philosophy of becoming an "artist" (I love that he applies this to creativity AND to work, because really they both must become the same thing) as well as the execution of how to make it happen.

His section on the reptile brain and WHY you resist change, creativity, and being ridiculously outstanding is alone worth the price of the book, it's the clearest description I've ever read of the challenges of standing apart from the herd in order to make the herd better.

This is one of the few books I've read in my life that I want to share with EVERYONE I know, especially people I work and create with. It's quite simply brilliant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linchpin.