Kitt's Reviews > Venom

Venom by Jennifer Estep

Oct 29, 11

bookshelves: arc, read-2010, urban-fantasy, cliff-hanger, books-i-own
Read in August, 2010 — I own a copy

A short note before I start my review of Venom. It really isn't possible for me to tell you the plot of this story without some mild spoilers to not only Spider's Bite and Web of Lies, but to Venom. There are, also, so many wonderful things that happen in this book and everyone of them are spoilers too. So what's a girl to do? I'll spill as little as possible, but if your interested in none, skip over my spoiler section.

*Spoiler Alert*

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Gin Blanco is learning Newton's third intimately. This theme was brought up several times in Venom, but the main circumstance is with her new arrangement with Roslyn Phillips. In Web of Lies, Roslyn owes Gin for Fletcher Lane and she knows it, so when Gin comes demanding her help to enter Mab Monroes soiree to kill Tobias Dawson, Roslyn could do nothing but comply. This is the case of the closer we get to people, the more we care about them and Gin Blanco is turning out to be no different. As a result, because she asked Roslyn to lie to Mab Monroe about the where abouts of a certain invitation and rune, Gin has placed Rosyln right in the line of sight of Mab's second in command, Elliot Slater. Now, Elliot is obsessed with Roslyn and is administering his own special brand of love to which Gin can't let slide. Elliot Slater will never touch Roslyn again is Gin has anything to say about it.

*Spoiler End*

All we've ever seen of Gin is "The Spider", never really before have we've seen Genevieve Snow, and in Venom, this side is the one with feelings, fears, and love. As more about Gin's past is uncovered, the more we get to see the harsh truth of Gin's reality. It's no secret how much I love this character and now I get to see her as more human and with compassion.

Let me just say that Ms. Estep has a great cast of characters. All well rounded and each personality stands out clearly in my mind. I have my favorites, but can I just say how excited I am that Donovan Caine is no longer around? Good riddance Caine, I won't be missing you and please, don't come back because we have Owen Grayson now. *sigh* Owen. There is a scene that just wretched my cold little heart in to a big pile of goo pushing me further on to team Grayson, as if I needed anymore of reason than I was shown prior. He's one hot, sexy beast and utterly perfect for Ms. Blanco and in Venom you'll see exactly why I think so.

I'm absolutely dieing here to tell you everything that happens, but instead, let me just tell you some of the questions that I had: What exactly is Sopia Deveraux doing with those bodies? Does she have any magic? Why did Mab Monroe kill Gins family? Why was she after Bia?

All of these and more will be answered through a page turning, action pact plot. Ms. Estep sure knows how to deliver a fantastic story and awesome fighting scenes. As you can see, I completely enjoyed Venom more than Web of Lies, but some of the quirks that bothered me in the series first two novels are still present and I can only contribute this to the rapid succession in which all three novels were released. And while Venom might be left with a bit of a cliff hanger, it only increases my appetite for this series and makes me want Tangled Threads that much more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Venom.

08/17/2010 page 30