Ch_hayley Medsker's Reviews > My Hippo Has the Hiccups with CD: And Other Poems I Totally Made Up

My Hippo Has the Hiccups with CD by Kenn Nesbitt

Mar 16, 2010

bookshelves: poetry
Read in March, 2010

I read and listened to some of My Hippo Has the Hiccups: And Other Poems I Totally Made Up by Ken Nesbitt on http://www.poetry4kids.com. This is a totally silly and laugh-out loud book for young readers from 1st through 3rd or 4th grade. I believe this book can accommodate such range of readers. While younger kids with a sense of humor will laugh and love the silliness, older readers may understand some of the challenging vocabulary it offers. The poem entitled, "Learning How to Juggle," states, "I will demonstrate my nimbleness and knack for pitching pegs...you'll be spellbound and astonished, as I sling and try to snatch." Older readers will be able to comprehend this perfectly, while younger readers can use the visuals to understand and get the gist of Nesbitt's humor. If student’s listen to this on the cd, they’ll really grasp a familiarity for prosody when reading poetry. I can’t wait to introduce this to my second grade students. I think it’ll fit in perfectly with our “funny poems” collection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Hippo Has the Hiccups with CD.