Rafaela's Reviews > The Night Watch

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: read-during-2010
Read from May 31 to June 20, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Book 15/2010

Oh man! I wanted to like this SO MUCH it's not even funny. People had said I'd love it, it was right up my alley, everything I've always wanted to read and more. Huh. Ok then.

When it comes to characters, they're easily the book's biggest success. Anton is... normal, I guess. Svetlana is A GODDAMNED MARY-SUE, yup, from damsel in distress to great sorceress in more or less 400 pages, Egor is AWESOME, Ilya is LOVE, Semyon is HILARIOUS, and I'll just quit the caps. I loved most people is this book, what I didn't like, was the fact that whoever translated the book translated the names too. I can't stand that. I was all happy writing my review when I noticed that Iliá wasn't a very russian sounding name. Well of course it isn't. They translated it!

With that said, to the plot. The plot is... funny. Anton is always envolved even though he's not even that good at what he does, which kind of messes up my willing suspension of disbelief. Then everybody else's envolved too, and everybody else's got an IQ of 296 (approximately) so they can come up and follow through with plans like those. They're total Xanatos Gambits! WHOA! Which is the same as saying, I didn't get them. Any of them. So I lost every climax of every story simply because I wasn't able to follow the author, wherever he was going. And when thing got to the end, oh well... turns out he wasn't going anywhere too important anyway. And Svetlana saved the day by doing absolutely nothing like the good old Mary-Sue she is.

Anyway. There are good things, obviously. I like that this isn't some sort of YA urban fantasy story, I've had it with those. I like that both sides are gray in orientation, not just the proverbial black and white. I like that everyone is just completely stark raving mad. I like it, I don't know.

So I'd have given it a 3.5 if I could. But as I can't... there you go, a 4. Not interested in reading Day Watch, though.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.

06/02/2010 page 27
06/15/2010 page 346
64.0% "Say what you will, Svetlana IS a Mary-Sue, Ilya is the best, Simeon cracks me up and Egor needs a hug. From me. Right this second. Weeee!"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

L.C. Lavado Estou ansiosa por ler esse livro... já fiz uma encomenda na FNAC há quase um mês... deve estar para chegar :)

message 4: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Leste em Inglês?
É que eu acho que em Português não traduziram os nomes (a menos que já não me recorde bem das coisas).
E ainda bem que gostaste, mas pena que não tenhas gostado tanto quanto querias.
E deixa lá que não foste a única que não conseguiu acompanhar o compasso doido no autor. Eu perdia-me!

Rafaela Ana C. wrote: "Leste em Inglês?
E ainda bem que gostaste, mas pena que não tenhas gostado tanto quanto queria..."

Completamente, ele é louco!
E não, li a versão portuguesa, da Presença. Tipo, as traduções eram coisas pequeninas - Ilya era Iliá, Semyon era Semion - mas mesmo assim incomoda-me. Porque é que deixam as coisas como estão? LOL

xx

message 2: by Ana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ana Rafa wrote: "Ana C. wrote: "Leste em Inglês?
E ainda bem que gostaste, mas pena que não tenhas gostado ta..."

Agora estou lembrada, tens razão! E realmente, não sei para que traduzem os nomes. Haja paciência!

Lirri I am surprised that you wrote 'Iliá wasn't a very russian sounding name. Well of course it isn't. They translated it!' Actually Ilya is a rather common Russian name, I can tell you that as a native speaker of Russian.