Brooklyn Darkchild's Reviews > The Upper Room

The Upper Room by Mary Monroe

Mar 16, 10

Read in January, 2010

Mama Ruby is crazy as a bedbug.
Real Talk.
And everybody is scared of her.
When her best friend delivers a stillborn little girl, Mama Ruby takes it back to her house to bury with the other bodies. But when, quite some time later, the infant miraculously shows signs of life, Mama Ruby chalks it up to her so called "Healing Hands" and hightails it out of town, baby girl in tow.
The residents of her new hometown are just as in awe, and in fear, of Mama Ruby as the folks Ruby left behind. It might have something to do with all those bodies pilling up in the shallow grave her son needs to dig constantly. They also think Mama Ruby is some kind of preacher, although she knows about as much Bible as Madea. Maureen, the kidnapped baby girl, is trapped in the middle of this chaos, and Mama Ruby has her future in a headlock. Will she ever find the courage to break free? Will Mama Ruby ever Do The Right Thing and let her go? Or is Maureen doomed to spend the rest of her natural life stuck with a crazy old lady?

Truth be told this wasn't nearly as well written or entertaining as God Don't Like Ugly. At times I was even angry at the writing, knowing Monroe can, and has, done better. Several times I was tempted to toss the book to the side. Only one thing kept me reading, and that was Mama Ruby. What a fruit fly! I was horrified, while at the same time...I couldn't get enough. Am I going to Hell??? I don't know. But I couldn't stop reading til the very last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Upper Room.