Dan 1.0's Reviews > The Sins of the Fathers

The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block

Jan 28, 11

bookshelves: crime-and-mystery, hardcase-writers, 2010, favorites, block
Read from March 17 to 19, 2010

When call girl is murdered and her roommate/killer hangs himself in prison, the girl's wealthy stepfather hires Matthew Scudder to investigate the girl's past and find out why her life ended the way it did. Scudder's investigations lead him through a web of sex and lies...

Wow. Lawrence Block always keeps me entertained but this was one hell of a read. It's less than 200 pages but one of the more powerful pieces of detective fiction I've read in years. I figured Scudder would unearth some bad things in his quest. Come on, how can you not unearth bad things when you're investigating the death of a call girl? Still, I was surprised by all the twists.

Scudder himself is a great character. He left the police force after a ricocheting bullet of his killed an innocent girl and has been operating as something of a PI ever since. He tithes to the church and drinks a lot. He has a sense of law and order and justice about him that keeps him interesting. For instance, he tells the story of setting up a guy he knew was a rapist by planting heroin in his apartment while he was gone and then informing on him. This is the first Scudder book and I think I'll be picking up the others as I find them.

For fans of noir, you can't go wrong picking up this book.
39 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sins of the Fathers.

03/17/2010 page 1
show 10 hidden updates…

Kemper I'm a huge Matt Scudder fan. The series only gets better and better as it goes along.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan 1.0 One of my favorite parts in this one is when he kicked that mugger's ass and then broke four of his fingers to teach him a lesson.

Kemper That's something I liked about the whole series. Scudder comes across as so mild-mannered and low-key most of the time, but then he'll just shock you by doing something like that.

message 4: by Mohammed (last edited Mar 19, 2010 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mohammed Scudder himself is what i liked about this book. The actual crime plot was a bit predictable story,twist wise. You knew how it would end.

Scudder,his NYC,his relationships with others is what i remember.I read it only months ago and i cant remember the story well. Scudder i like very much though. Hope the other books have more intresting story.

James Thane I agree that this is a great book and a fantastic start on one of the best series in crime fiction. Scudder is a great creation who only gets better as the series goes along.