Sara's Reviews > Hush, Hush

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Mar 17, 10

bookshelves: 2010, sci-fi-fantasy, young-adult
Read on March 16, 2010

Nora's an average, if somewhat dumb, girl who meets a mysterious boy named Patch. Patch seems to know everything about Nora but refuses to reveal his own secrets. Ignoring the warnings from everyone, Nora spends more time with him, even as strange and frightening things start happening to her that makes her wonder if she's losing her mind. She also wants to know how Patch is involved with all the odd happenings.

I was engrossed in this book, reading it quickly and wondering how everything would tie up in the end, but overall, it wasn't one of my favorites. The story was strong, but the characters weren't the greatest; Nora did some extremely dumb things and glued herself to Patch's side, even when he was being creepy (why?), and the side characters didn't nearly feel like fully fleshed out people, instead being only one-dimensional characters. It drives me crazy to consistently see the main character of a book make terrible decisions that puts herself in danger, and this book had plenty of this, which didn't particularly endear me to Nora. On the other hand, the author successfully managed to confuse me about other characters' motivations, which was great.

I thought the story was decent overall, and I liked the whole concept of fallen angels battling here on earth, but the book as a whole felt like it was lacking something - perhaps more heart, or maybe more intelligence. This is a fairly quick read that you don't need to spend much energy thinking about, but while it's a decent way to pass the time, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush, Hush.