Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Stray

Stray by Rachel Vincent

Sep 12, 2010

bookshelves: series-1st-book, series, 2010, adult, books-i-own, books-that-own-me, favourites, hero-i-loved, race-shifters, first-person-narration
Recommended for: urban fantasy and a good shifter story lovers
Read from September 06 to 10, 2010

This book turned out to be much better than I imagined, and I imagined quite a good book. There's just a different appeal of books with a first person narration. The story goes much faster and the action is more intense which was exactly the case with this book. It engaged me right from the beginning and I actually craved to go back to the story whenever I gave a break to eat or have a life :)

The book tells the story of -and from the point of view of- Faythe, an independence craving cat shifter. Faythe is the daughter of the Pride Alpha so she's not only very valuable but also under pressure to become the leader of her Pride one day. So she decides to ditch her responsabilities as a leader and goes after a life of her own. The story starts with Faythe having left her father's home five years earlier; she's in college now but trouble finds her on campus and she's dragged back to her home for being in danger. There she faces her responsabilities, her family, other shifters, her old flame and a very dangerous stray.

Faythe was a good written character, as independant and smart-mouthed as she was, she wasn't annoying to me. On the contrary, she was very vulnerable at times and a bit confused about the feelings she had after coming back home to her old life where everyone's a shifter and she doesn't have to pretend.

I really liked the parts where the reader gets to see the point of view of Faythe in her cat form which was refreshing. Rachel Vincent didn't just say Faythe's a shifter and left it at that, but actually has given us some scenes from a cat's perspective and thoughts.

There were also some parts in the book which were intense and sensitive but the writer handled those masterfully without giving too much detail but giving just enough to stress you.

I don't want to say much about relationships since this is an ongoing story so the emotions and relations kept changing and I'm certain nothing is permanent by the end of the first book.

Overall, this was a very good start to a series, captivating with a good story and well written characters. I will definitely read the rest of the series.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.

09/06/2010 page 65
11.0% "I know Faythe doesn't give him much credit now and I usually fall for the bad boys but I love Marc! Besides he has the potential to become a bad boy! :)" 2 comments
09/07/2010 page 302
49.0% "I like Faythe, she's independent and determined yet vulnerable."
09/08/2010 page 348
56.0% "Whoa. The tension is intense!" 17 comments
09/09/2010 page 446
72.0% "Damn. Damn damn shame.."
09/10/2010 page 560
91.0% "And we're back to 'intense'..And a lot of excitement!"

Lady Allison I'm so excited you're finally reading the shifters! Can't wait to hear all about it! :D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ So far sooooo good!! :D I'm pretty excited about this, feel like I'll get my paws on the next one as soon as I get back! ;D

Lady Allison Yay! So excited to have another werecat on my side! ;)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL Totally! :D

Leah Maybe I'll have to read the rest with you Gokce because I know you will abuse me into finishing them! LOL ;P

Lady Allison We could even to a dare you to read challenge! I'd reread them!

Leah LOL. Works for me! When I get the chance to read them, I'll make up a dare you to read challenge for it :D
When does Alpha come out? We should wait until that one is out so that we can just read straight through the series.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oooh, that's a great idea! Cause I'm kinda loving this, and I know I'll read the rest and yeah, probably push you to read it too Leah -since Alli already read them- and then we can all discuss and obsess over!!! \o/ LOL

Lady Allison Alpha (Shifters, #6) by Rachel Vincent comes out Oct. 1st!!!!! I'm SO EXCITED FOR IT!!! It's going to be bittersweet but amazing, I'm sure :D I'm going to gift myself the entire series ending with Alpha for my birthday when it comes out!

message 10: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah @Gokce
Sounds like a plan. I know between the two of you that you'll manage to bully me into reading them all. LOL.

@Alli
Okay, so we'll do it sometime in October then :D
That sounds like a wonderful gift to give yourself, LOL ;)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Allison, that seems like an awesome idea!! Hmm, maybe I should gift myself this series as well?? ;D

Leah, well, you know!! :D

message 12: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah LOL. Yes, I do know.

Great review, love. I'm a little surprised to notice that I gave this book 5 stars. I think I need to go back and read my review for this. LOL

Lady Allison Leah, that happens to me all the time! I go back like a year or so later & I'm like...was it really that good? Hahaha, I suppose that's what re-reads are for!

message 14: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah LOL. So. True. I guess I'll find out how I really feel about it when I re-read it for the dare you to read challenge we are going to do, LOL ;P

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Yep, guys, that happens to me too and it doesn't even have to be a year after I read the book, sometimes two days or so passes and I start wondering maybe I should've given it a star less or more! :D

message 16: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah LOL! Same here! I see it on my profile or when someone likes my review and then I often lower the rating I put because I realize how much I didn't like it. LOL.