Treasure's Reviews > A Monstrous Regiment of Women

A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King

May 19, 10

bookshelves: series, grown-up-books, mystery
Read in May, 2010

I am not usually much of an adult mystery reader, but a library patron made me swear on my life that I would read this one and she was right-- I loved it!
Mary Russell is the young protege of an aging Sherlock Holmes. While the usual mystery and intrigue occur, along with cameos of both Watson and Mycroft, Mary is also struggling with the loss of her family in a tragic accident a few years back, earning a degree at Oxford, navigating the London society of the 1920s, reeling from World War I, and suddenly inheriting the family business, properties, fortune, and repsonsibilities.
Did I mention there is a vaguely creepy but totally fascinating slight love story between the 60ish Holmes and 21 year old Russell? I thought it ridiculous and icky for most of the book, and did find the ending absolutley ridiculous, but I still enjoyed it! But I could have done without the silly references to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Ick.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monstrous Regiment of Women.