Bitsy's Reviews > The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Mar 30, 10

bookshelves: favorites, classic, mystery, short-stories

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a series of short stories written by Arthur Conan Doyle to be published in serial format in The Strand Magazine. They are each complete unto themself, so if you missed one you could still go out and get the next one without much of a bother. The character Sherlock Holmes became much beloved in England over this and people even wrote into the magazine asking if he was a real man (to which the editor gave a suitably vague response). Sherlock Holmes solves mysteries through logic and observation, and oftentimes just had to hear about a case to piece together what happened, he is famous for his large magnifying glass, his tall lanky figure, and of course his pipe. His is still the figure people think of when they think of a detective even today.

The plots are sometimes weak, but often intricate and they leave you guessing until the final plot twist at the end as to who did what and how. Occasionally you can guess early just what is going on but you still want to read on because you find you care about what happens to Holmes and Watson and whatever other innocents become involved in the case and you need to see what happens next! If you love mysteries you need to give this classic an honest try. It's highly readable, and well worth a go. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Quotes Bitsy Liked

Arthur Conan Doyle
“It saved me from ennui," he answered, yawning. "Alas! I already feel it closing in upon me. My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence. These little problems help me to do so.”
Arthur Conan Doyle, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes