Michael Johnson's Reviews > Starfish

Starfish by Peter Watts

Mar 19, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from March 16 to 18, 2010, read count: 1

This was a delightfully depressing venture into the deep sea. I have always been fascinated with this zone and enjoyed Blindsight, also by Peter Watts, so it seemed prudent to try it.
The book itself had its ups and downs. However, I obviously liked it enough for four stars. The setting was excellent and, as in Blindsight he does an excellent job of exploring the character's person thoroughly. In this novel the character is labeled a "freak", one of those addicted to abusive relationships. He plays the character's dynamics off brilliantly.

The setting always compliments the mood perfectly with almost no lapses in the fluidity. The text consistently conveys emotion much better than I had expected, both directly and indirectly. Sometimes, it does go a bit overboard with the emotions, but it stays entirely within the realm of possibility.

The plot was somewhat lacking, however, as I did not get a feel for an actual story to it. There were elements--nothing I'll give away--, but they were there. It just seemed almost like an afterthought to a surreal underwater environment that strangely brought peace in its ferocity.

All in all this book was excellent, though. One of my new favorites, in fact. I have a soft spot for delightfully depressing novels and these seem to be his specialty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starfish.

03/16/2010 page 20