Lori Lansens's Reviews > The Girls

The Girls by Lori Lansens

Mar 16, 2010

(Review from the author)

1 like ·

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls.

Quotes Lori Liked

Lori Lansens
“The strangest thing about strange things is that they're only strange when you hear about them or think about them later, but never when you're living them.”

Lori Lansens
“If heaven is tolerant and writers are allowed (bunch of liars though they are), I wonder if they gather for coffee to ponder the prose they should have written instead.”

Lori Lansens
“How cruel it must be for a man to live past his soul.”

Lori Lansens
“I can't exactly say why I've chosen to write about the things that I am writing about. There are doubtless better stories from my life that I am missing, events and escapades I am not wise enough to know were important. If heaven is tolerant and writers are allowed (bunch of liars that they are), I wonder if they gather for coffee to ponder the prose they should have written instead.

p 179

Lori Lansens
“Write,' she said, 'as if you'll never be read. That way you'll be sure to tell the truth.”

Lori Lansens
“I hum some secret place into being, thinking of this other me, the one that only I can see, a girl called She, who is not We, a girl who I will never be.”

Lori Lansens
“Art isn't a product. It's an experience”
tags: art

Lori Lansens
“I feel, holding books, accommodating their weight and breathing their dust, an abiding love. I trust them, in a way that I can't trust my computer, though I couldn't do without it. Books are matter. My books matter. What would I have done through these years without the library and all its lovely books?”

Lori Lansens
“In sleep, my sister and I found a common breath. In dreams, we knew the moon.”

Lori Lansens
“Before she closed her eyes tonight, Rose said she regretted that she has not done something heroic in her life. Well, it's not like she can suddenly climb a tree and save a cat, or go to medical school and begin some important cancer research. But Rose has been my sister. I think that's heroic.”

Lori Lansens
“Funny how you can measure time by pets that were not even your own.”

Lori Lansens
“What is it about sadness that can be so fulfilling?”

Lori Lansens
“I would not have dreamed back then, could never have imagined, that one day I would be a childless mother too.”

06/17/2016 marked as: read