Buggy's Reviews > Blood Lines

Blood Lines by Tanya Huff

Sep 04, 13

bookshelves: paranormal-rom, vampalicious, shelf-10, urb-fantasy, kickass-heroine
Read from May 13 to June 22, 2010

Opening Line:"He had been almost aware for some time. Nothingness had shattered when they removed him from the chamber."

BLOOD LINES is the third offering from Tanya Huff’s Blood (Ties) series. As a fan of the TV show I was thrilled to discover these books which now have the added bonus of visual references for our 3 main characters and their ongoing love triangle. I particularly enjoy romance writing, bisexual vampire Henry Fitzroy. Who as the bastard son of King Henry VIII also comes complete with flashbacks from his 450 year long existence and remains my favourite character. Private investigator Vicki Nelson continues her struggle with degenerative eye disease while also battling the supernatural and a revolving door love life. And blue collar Cop, Mike Celluci just tries to keep up with the events taking place in his ever broadening paranormal world.

Once more I was impressed by Huff’s writing as she weaves together multiple POV’s and here gives us a unique story and great antagonist with one regenerated Egyptian priest wondering around Toronto as a modern day mummy, absorbing Ka’s (souls) and hypnotizing people in a quest for Canadian and eventually world domination.

The Royal Ontario museum is thrilled to obtain a mummy the only issue being the sarcophagus they receive is empty, or is it? Staff members are suddenly dropping dead as the newly awakened Anwar Tawfic begins to feed. Absorbing life forces and growing stronger with each victim as he prepares for his new reign on earth. Mike is sent to investigate the museum deaths and soon realizes that this is no normal case so he enlists ex partner Vicki’s help. Meanwhile Henry is being haunted by dreams of the sun (which is not a good thing for a vampire to be dreaming about) Fearing for his sanity and afraid he is being driven to suicide Henry also goes to Vicki for help. Tawfik soon takes to the streets and discovers that the younger the victim the better and in a couple of very creepy scenes we witness Anwar 'recharging' on children and even a baby. Soon our evil Mummy has taken over the police department, turning Vicki and Mike into fugitives and becoming obsessed with obtaining Henry’s immortal Ka.

One of the creepiest parts of this book was witnessing Vicki’s time locked up in a special needs prison; abused, drugged, beaten and blind without her glasses I was surprised at the level of violence involved here. I’ve also noticed that all the books seem to stall out in the middle section and as much as I’m enjoying this series I generally struggle to get through to the always exciting closing chapters. Another unfortunate factor is that the love scenes remain fade-to-black. I find this is a damn shame because with Henry and Tony’s continued relationship and Vicki bouncing beds with both Henry and Mike (sometimes in the same day) I wanted details. And lastly you gotta love the fact that this takes place in Canada. How much fun is it hearing Yonge street, the Leafs and the CN tower mentioned in a paranormal. Cheers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Lines.

05/13/2010 page 27
9.93% "His kind never dreamed, or so he'd always believed. They lost dreaming as they lost the day."
05/15/2010 page 123
45.22% "There was a mummy in that coffinand it now seems to be roaming around Toronto."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindi I was JUST thinking I should reread this series! Great minds and all that . . .

Buggy Ha,ha Cindi I'm just reading it for through for the first time. I've finally made it onto book 3. I really like Tanya Huff's style of writing I just wish she wouldn't always go "fade to black" for the love scenes. Ooh I like that Henry and Cellucci aint half bad either.

Cindi Yeah, sci-fi-fantasy is often just a tease!

message 4: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 18, 2010 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookwatcher Yes... it's a great serie! BUT I hate what Tanya decide to do with Henry after.
The #4 of this serie was so boring (Blood Pact) and I hate the end, but I hardly give up a serie, so I go on and read all Victoria Nelson serie (again bored with Blood Debt).
She complete lost me when write the Tony Foster serie. Put Henry there, with Tony on his serie, kill my interest. Smoke and Shadows was one of the worst book I ever read in my live.

But it's my personal opinion. To me Tanya waste a great character (Henry) when she start to change him... I can tell you what she did, but read the Smoke and Shadow plot and you will get it... I can accept that he didn't get Victoria, but... well, I'll stop or will spoil the story.

message 5: by Buggy (last edited Jun 18, 2010 11:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Buggy Thanks for the input Bookwatcher. I've been wondering about Smoke and Shadows and Henry's relationship with Tony. I'm actually struggling through this one right now so I don't think I'll continue past book #4. I've got to see how it ends though and I do love that Henry

message 6: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 19, 2010 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookwatcher it's so terrible when a serie start in a wonderful way, and finish so awful! . It's a pity, and I was so excited reading the first that buy it all up to Smoke and Shadows... so waste of time and money

Buggy Thats good to know Bookwatcher. I've done the same thing though and bought a whole series only to be dissapointed

Buggy I love the TV show Blood Ties. That's what got me into the books because I found Henry soo delicious. (Mike's pretty good too) But it did get kind of silly in the second season. I didn't like that they changed Henry's career either, he would be the perfect historical romance writer because he lived it. Vickie never slept with Henry on TV either, they just flirted, in the books she's humping both men. I thought all 3 main characters did a great job portraying the characters true to the book though.

message 9: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 20, 2010 02:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookwatcher The Tv show was a little superfluous in my view. The book (I repeat) was sooooo much better (the first 3... after became so less interesting)! I did the inverse... first the book, after the Tv show. I was VERY DISAPPOITED with the Henry change of career. And, i AGREEEEEEE!!!! Henry was so hot on tv!

Great also Mike, but Henry was perfect!

Buggy Yes Henry is the perfect Vampire. Did you know the TV show was filmed in Canada?? All Canadian acters too. Maybe you will now exchange Bryan Adams for Kyle Schmid(Henry)

Bookwatcher Buggy wrote: "Yes Henry is the perfect Vampire. Did you know the TV show was filmed in Canada?? All Canadian acters too. Maybe you will now exchange Bryan Adams for Kyle Schmid(Henry)"

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa yes! Done! My goddess I go crazy about him! (and you know it!)... our deal to exchange George Clonney for Bryan is still to be done (I have already inform him and he has luggage packed. Don't make george wait to much)

Buggy Ha,ha ha Bookwatcher I am on my way to the airport to pick George up. I will get "Henry" on the next red-eye flight because you know being a vampire he can't fly during he day!!

Bookwatcher Buggy wrote: "Ha,ha ha Bookwatcher I am on my way to the airport to pick George up. I will get "Henry" on the next red-eye flight because you know being a vampire he can't fly during he day!!"

yey! [image error] going!!! [image error]

ps: George is arriving... make italian food to him. He love it!

message 14: by Leah M (new) - added it

Leah M Fantastic review.

Buggy Thanks so much Leah

message 16: by Carlybaby (new)

Carlybaby loved the show! i didnt know there were books :) thanks for the review

Buggy Welcome Carlybaby. Its a fun series worth watching just for the eye candy that is Henry!

Alex is The Romance Fox What a great review Buggy!!
I've never heard of the books or tv show....u know we are so far far away....but i need to check it out....it sounds so exciting.

Buggy Thanks so much Alex. I'm not sure that it was very popular anywhere except here in Canada because that's where it was filmed and took place. If you ever get a chance to see it though sure is fun!

Alex is The Romance Fox Buggy wrote: "Thanks so much Alex. I'm not sure that it was very popular anywhere except here in Canada because that's where it was filmed and took place. If you ever get a chance to see it though sure is fun!"

I'm definitely going to check it out.