Colleen Turner's Reviews > Broken

Broken by Karin Slaughter

Apr 10, 10

bookshelves: first-read
Read from April 02 to 10, 2010

I received this book as an advance-read copy from Goodreads.com.

The body of a dead college student is found weighed down in a lake in Grant County with a strange knife would in the back of her neck. The young man initially arrested as a suspect in the murder is found dead in his prison cell. Sarah Linton, a doctor whos roots are in Grant County and who is home to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, calls in the GBI, Georgia Bureau of Investigation, feeling that something just isn't right. Will Trent arrives to work both the case of the dead college student and the dead suspect and the reader is brought along on a wild ride of clues, accusations and hidden evidence. Nothing is as it seems in Grant County, and the dead bodies count has not reached its limit.

Many characters who have showed up in previous books by Karin Slaughter are brought back for more in "Broken". I wish I had read the previous stories before I read this book because I tended to feel like an outsider looking in on a close knit group of friends and enemies who weren't quite telling me the whole story. This feeling dissipated as the story went on, but I will definitely go back and read those previous books now!

The book was well developed and did a good job of keeping the killer's identity a secret until the very end. We find many characters who could have done it (and many of them show black souls and hearts even if they aren't the killers) but I couldn't have guessed the outcome. I had trouble putting the book down as it kept you interested and guessing the entire time. I found a lot of typing errors in the book, but this might be due to it being an advance read copy. These errors aside, it was definitely an enjoyable read and I will hurry to read more from this author now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken.

04/06/2010 page 80
19.9% "Very good, but a little lost as to the reasons for conflicts between some characters since discussed in previous books."
04/07/2010 page 203
50.5% "Really have no idea who the killer is, which is great! I tend to figure out the ending pretty quickly, but this one is keeping me guessing!"
04/09/2010 page 314
78.11% "Ohh...this is getting good! I think I know who the killer is!"