Meg's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Mar 25, 10

bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-in-2010, favorites
Read from March 17 to 22, 2010

In the span of 450 pages of Kathryn Stockett’s incredible The Help, I alternated between giggling, snorting, wanting to a punch a wall, choking back tears and -- finally -- letting those tears fall. The novel broke my heart and then healed it, and I feel like a different person -- a different reader -- after finishing.

With fully-drawn characters and the uniquely Southern setting, I couldn’t read this novel fast enough. Stockett does a masterful job of building suspense and anxiety while simultaneously keeping us engrossed in the plot. The bravery exhibited by nearly everyone in the story was inspiring and, like the Grinch, I felt my heart swelling way beyond its normal size.

For me, The Help absolutely lived up to the hype -- and I felt so much while reading, which is the hallmark of an amazing book. I really didn’t want it to end and wished I could live forever with Minny, Aibileen and Skeeter, the latter of whom I identified with so much. But I wanted more for them. And, more than anything, I wanted them to have happy lives.

An important novel that tackles Major Issues in a dark period of American history yet still manages to be entertaining, lively, affecting and unbelievably moving? The Help is truly a rare find, and it earns my absolute highest recommendation.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

03/17/2010 page 1
0.22% "Excited to start!" 1 comment
03/17/2010 page 23
5.1% "Already loving it... And feeling angry."
03/18/2010 page 115
25.5% "Pretty much want to punch Hilly in the face." 1 comment
03/21/2010 page 333
73.84% "My stomach is in knots!"
show 5 hidden updates…