Jay's Reviews > Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Austria - France, 1769

Marie Antoinette by Kathryn Lasky

2419499
Mar 18, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own, historical-distant, kids, non-fiction, biography-french, biography-austrian
Read from March 16 to 18, 2010

Aha, I loved this book when I was ten or eleven when it came out. I thought it was wonderful, and I loved the cover art (okay, so I still do- look at the detail on the back of the gown! Ahh!), and the golden pages and the historical details at the end. I was a history nut even then. And I went bonkers with the whole 'Pardon me, Monsieur, I did not mean to do it' line. I remember reading that to my dad, and him being quite unimpressed. I don't remember much about the actual story, but I loved the end of it.

Looking back, I'm glad my childhood self didn't enjoy the whole 'story' so much. There's a heap of historical inaccuracies, and Lasky even admits she added fictional aspects to the story. In some ways, this could be a good thing. It makes children more likely to read it, and more interested in history. That can't be a bad thing. However, it gives children an inaccurate view of history, and I remember being eleven years old and huffy with my father for pointing out that some things were wrong with the story.

I do like some things Lasky has done, though, by making Marie Antoinette just a very sheltered young girl who has no idea what's going on in the world around her. Both her and Louis were naive children who had no idea what the real world was and were naturally unfit to be King and Queen of France.

It's a fun read, but if given to a child, the inaccuracies should be explained.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marie Antoinette.