Amy's Reviews > The Memory of Old Jack

The Memory of Old Jack by Wendell Berry

207773
Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: novels, community, loss-grief, memory

I've gotten to the point where most of Wendell Berry's stories feel like I've already read them. But they're still really good. This one has a lot to say about aging and community - what it's like to both be and love the one who's slipping away.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory of Old Jack.

message 1: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Yelencich hey Amy, I've never read any Wendell Berry but have wanted to for some time. What's a good one to start with in your opinion?

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Okay - definitely know that his essays are a whole different ballgame from his novels. My comment came after a conversation with a friend in which she stated she'd take his essays and leave his fiction. I still think his novels and short stories are worth reading, but I would start with essays. And I'd just pick whatever sounds interesting. Right now I'm dabbling in Sex, Economy, Freedom & Community; it's rather stellar. The Unsettling of America: Culture and Agriculture was good too. It really depends on your interests. You can't really go wrong with Wendell Berry, so you might as well go with the most interesting title. As far as fiction - people rave about Jayber Crow, but I'd say The Memory of Old Jack is just as good. Happy reading. He's wonderful!