Dennis's Reviews > The Murder Artist: A Thriller

The Murder Artist by John Case

Mar 14, 12

Read in February, 2012

I liked the reviews on the cover: "It left me breathless..." Yeah, me too, but that was just my sleep apnea kicking in when I started snoring. This was the most un-thrilling thriller that I've ever read, a book which never got going and depended a lot on reader gullibility and willingness to suspend all belief. Where do I begin...

A Wolf Blitzer-type correspondent for CNN has his twin sons kidnapped, a high-profile case if ever there was one - and the police shelve it. Is this some other real world of media madness that I don't know about?
Am I suppose to believe that the police would shelve a case of kidnapped identical-twin blonde boys belionging to a media star?

The second stupidity is that the journalist follows EXACTLY the same leads the police had, in a straight line, with a lot more success. Am I suppose to believe that top cops and FBI can't do the same with unlimited resources? That they're that stupid?

The book just piles this sort of stuff on until I just couldn't believe anyone with half a brain could either write or buy this story? The basic idea behind it has merit but the writing was unbelievably clumsy and badly-thought-through.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Murder Artist.