Thee_ron_clark's Reviews > The Protector's War

The Protector's War by S.M. Stirling

Mar 15, 2010

bookshelves: action, other
Read in March, 2010

Blessed be. All the engines stopped working and Wiccans and Ren Faire people have inherited the earth.

OK. Sounds silly and I am poking some fun at it, but I did like it.

First of all, I purchased both the first and second book in this series and read the second one first by accident. Hey. I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed. Not on this site anyway.

The basic concept is that something happened to the planet and now explosions cannot happen. This includes firearms and combustion engines of all sorts. This drives humanity into a second dark age. Governments fall, people die, vegetation and animal life gets out of hand, and other things happen.

The majority of this story takes place in the northwest portion of what used to be the United States nine years after this change takes place. People are banding together. Some want to simply survive and hold what they have been working for while others want to conquer and rule. A conqueror has his eyes on the territory to the south of his lands and the people of those lands are trying to ally themselves with one another to stop this from happening or to fight them off if it does.

Now, the premise and the action are pretty cool. It also contains a number of rich and unique characters.

The book lost me in the idea that nine years after this world-changing event, not only would people begin worshiping old gods and going Wiccan but they would begin dressing in medieval apparel as well. I mean, who decides that pants are no longer a good idea and we need to revert to kilts in our day to day lives?

Take it for what it is. Beyond the parts that I felt were silly, I was left wanting to read the next book in the series...... After I read the first one of course.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Protector's War.