Ann aka Iftcan's Reviews > Beyond the Dark

Beyond the Dark by Angela Knight

Mar 16, 10

I'd read 2 of the authors in this anthology before, so I figured I'd enjoy at least their stories. Surprisingly, this was a fairly strong anthology, perhaps because it felt like the stories were longer than the usual short story format. It also introduced me to a new writer who's works I will have to investigate further.

Now--to "grading" the individual stories:

Dragon Dance by Angela Knight. This story was not set in any of the previous worlds that I'd read by her, but I have to admit--I really hope she turns it into a new series. The 2 leads were strong without being caricatures, and their interactions were interesting.

Caught by the Tides by Diane Whiteside. This was 1 of the 2 authors I had read nothing by before. And she is one that I am definately going to have to investigate further. I do not know if this story is set in 1 of her published worlds or not, but it was very enjoyable. Its an alternate Earth type story, set during the time of the Napoleonic Wars. The heroine and hero are English, and magic workers. VERY good story.

Queen of all She Surveys by Emma Holly. Again, I had not read anything by this author before, so I had no real expectations going in. This story is set back in the bronze age, in what I believe to be Egypt before it was joined into the Upper and Lower Kingdoms. Well before any of the recorded history we have for it. It was, in my opinion, the weakest story of the set, but still an OK story.

In a Wolf's Embrace by Lora Leigh. Set in her Breeds world, this was the story of Matthias and Grace, their meeting and becoming Mates. I personally prefer the full length novels, but this did answer questions about how the 2 became a couple, which I had vaguely wondered about. Not as strong as a full novel, but hey, what short story IS, right? Still, very good story for us compulsive people who want to know everything about all the characters in a series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Dark.