Jennifer's Reviews > Bitter Night

Bitter Night by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Mar 15, 2010

bookshelves: read-2010
Read in February, 2010

This review was originally posted on my review blog, Falling Off The Shelf.

Max hasn't always been hell-bent on getting revenge for the freedom that was stolen from her. There was a time in her life when she was just another normal girl trying to make her mark on the world. All of that changed when a witch named Giselle transformed her into her own personal Shadowblade. Now Max is equipped with extraordinary strength, speed, and endurance, making her the perfect weapon. Max has no choice, no matter how hard she fights against it, but on her honor she isn't going to make things easy for Giselle.

When the ancient Guardians of the earth decide it's time to destroy the mortal world, they turn to the witches for help. Each coven leader is expected to make the choice of life or death for their coven. Denying the request of the Guardians means certain death, while accepting signs the death certificate of the human race. While Max clearly hates being a Shadowblade, she can't think of what life would be like if she lost Horngate too. In order to protect her home, she must turn to her enemies, a rival witch's Shadowblade, and the witch who turned her into the warrior that she is.

Bitter Night is the first book in a new series called the Horngate Witches. In the beginning I was confused as to why Max was so eager for revenge, but reading further on in the book gave me the full picture. While her character is an awesome warrior, and clearly has no problem getting a date if she so dares, she's not perfect. She definitely has anger issues, and she knows how to hold a grudge. In my honest opinion, I think this has only made her stronger in the long run, despite the not always great outcome.

I'm only hoping that the series will continue to be just as action packed as this first installment. I'm also looking forward to seeing if the romantic interests in this book will continue in the next, and what conflicts they will create.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Night.