Peep (Pop! Pop!)'s Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Mar 22, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, clean-enough, really-liked, addicted-to-ya
Read on March 22, 2010

I have to admit that I started out with low ratings for this book. I had no idea what is was about and had no idea where it was going. I have to say that the author did an excellent job with this book. Gen has got to be one of the most likable lead characters that I have ever come across. He has some of the best comebacks and mostly says whatever is on his mind. He's stubborn most of the time too. I found myself laughing a few times when he displayed how stubborn he can be.

The supporting characters where likable. I enjoyed the magus, Pol, and Sophos was just plain adorable. Ambiades was too broody for me and everyone knows that brooding gets you wrinkles.

I enjoyed the humor and the suspense in the book. I really liked the way Gen handled things and it surprised me how good at his job he could be. But I guess that's what he wanted you to think in the first place, right? You're so busy paying attention to this meanwhile where's your wallet? Where is it? Where is it? Ugh, it's in the trash and I already spent your cash on pizza, leftovers are in the fridge.

In the book Gen is lower class and considered gutter scum, as such here is one of my favorite exchanges:

"Did you want to write a letter to your sweetheart?" he asked.
"What makes you think my sweetheart can read? Shut up and get me a piece of paper."

Hahahahahaha. Ok, you're not laughing now but you will when you get to that part!

And am I the only one who thought Gen was a girl at first? I didn't realize it until page 23? In my defense I had not read the description, nor the bookflap, and Gen as a name could go either way!

The Thief is clean enough for young readers. It's not a romance, it's an adventure. I'm glad I read this book and it's certainly one of my favorites. It's a very delightful read! Go read it and let me know what you think!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi (the original) I just added this last week!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) It's at the library in the next town. I'll pick it up my next trip there, most likely this weekend. I'll let you know if I like it (of course I will). Interestingly enough, my local library has the next two books in the series....

Chachic Glad you liked it! :) You're going to love the next books in the series.

Heidi (the original) Peep. I am confused. Did you like Gen or not? :)

Shannen *aka Mrs. Jericho Barrons* Great. Now I have to add another book to my list. My TBR list is supposed to shrink, not grow!

Dydy ah i too thought gen as a girl...
haa very funny

message 7: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Weatherford THANK YOU for telling us whether things are clean or not!!! No one ever seems to do that, and it drives me crazy--as an 18-year-old who wants to stay away from too much adult content, I always have to ask--or just try it, and I HATE starting books and then putting them down halfway through! So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Whoops! Sorry, I didn't realize I had comments!

Thanks Dydy! I knew it wasn't just me!

And Amy, you're welcome. Sometimes I remember to do that, sometimes I don't. I have little sisters in laws that are teens and I try to take note of books that I can feel comfortable recommending to them.