Bobbi's Reviews > A Beautiful Blue Death

A Beautiful Blue Death by Charles Finch

Mar 23, 10

Read in March, 2010

I was very disappointed in this book, unfortunately. The setting was right...cold, snowy, nineteenth century London complete with cozy, fire-lit libraries and descriptions of fantastic lunches and teas. However, the protagonist was unbelievably and annoyingly moralistic. He was constantly torn between what he felt was right/wrong and just doing what he had to do in order to solve the case, such as secretly searching through a suspects room. I think the author wanted the reader to see his detective as a "good person" rather than as the resigned busybody that a person has to be in order to be a detective of any merit. He tried too hard to make us like the guy. I also think the author purposefully skimmed over obvious clues in order to appear mysterious but unfortunately only succeeded in making his detective appear to be unobservant. Of course these clues were talked about during the big reveal but by then the reader had already seen them and figured most things out so there really was no big reveal. There was none of the depth or subtlety that is requisite in producing a truly good detective story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Blue Death.