Alisha Marie's Reviews > After Life

After Life by Jaron Lee Knuth

Mar 15, 10

bookshelves: e-books-i-ve-read, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read, horror
Read from March 14 to 15, 2010

Let me start out by saying that I am a huge zombie fan. Zombie movies just cause hours of enjoyment while simultaneously scaring the hell out of me. When it comes to reading zombie books, I'm also a little apprehensive because I'm not seeing the gore and horror on screen. I've only read one previous zombie book (The Forest of Hands and Teeth) and enjoyed it and since I saw that After Life was only 99 cents in Kindle format, I decided to buy it. I thought that it was just okay.

After Life starts out with a bang. The two main characters, Alex and Morgan are in a diner before all hell breaks loose in the form of zombies. Yet while the book was going on, I couldn't help but feel like it was extremely repetitive. Then, there were other instances where absolutely nothing of interest what's happening.

Another aspect that bothered me was the whole romance between Alex and Morgan. Well, not really the "romance" so much as their repetitive whining of it. If you like each other just say it. It's less annoying that way. If you're thinking "But we're in the middle of zombie mayhem! Now is so not the time", well you'd be right. So just put it out of your mind. It's less eye-roll inducing for the rest of us.

Besides the two annoying main characters and their constant relationship woes, the book did have some really good moments. I liked that it showed the way humanity would disintegrate realistically. Let me be honest for a moment and say that if zombies really were to break out in the U.S. most people would be looking out for number 1 (and their own loved ones to that effect). There would rarely be any hero antics happening. After Life emphasized that in Morgan and Alex's behavior. They were going to look after each hell with everybody else. As cynical as the thought may be, a majority of the population would do this if zombies were to break out. (Let me just mention that I'd be one of the first ones gone if zombies were to roam the Earth. I would so not survive.)

So, After Life was an enjoyable read for 99 cents. That being said, I would've been slightly disappointed if I paid $11.99 for it (the current paperback cost) as there wasn't enough closure for my taste. It should've been a bit more longer and explained itself a bit more. Still, "okay" zombie mayhem is better than none at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Life.