SheLove2Read's Reviews > Tempt Me If You Can

Mar 16, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Recommended for: Fans of Janet Chapman
Read from March 15 to 16, 2010, read count: 1

For me Janet Chapman is an auto buy author. Not because she's all that but because I know I will come away with a good, solid, satisfying read.

Tempt Me If You Can is just that kind of read. Its the second in the Sinclair Brothers series and is the story of Ben and Emma. Years ago Ben came to a small logging town in Maine to aid environmentalists who were attempting to keep loggers from clear cutting old growth forests. While he was there he had a short lived romance with Kelly. Fast forward 15 years later....Ben receives a letter stating that he has a 15 year old son named Michael and isn't time he came and met him?

Ben is floored. He never knew Kelly was pregnant and he certainly never knew he had a son! Determined to get to the bottom of what's going on, he heads to Maine only to find that Michael has been raised by his aunt Emma for the last 10 years and Kelly is nowhere to be found - by anyone.

Emma has raised Michael since he was 5. Well, really even before that because Kelly was never really a mother to Michael. She's had him in her care since she was 19 years old and is in essence, Michael's mother. While she never told Ben that Michael existed, she also never disparaged him to his father and made sure he knew who he was and where he came from. Her view was that when Michael was old enough to make a decision of his own, he could seek him out. (This is probably the only major gripe I have about the storyline. I cannot see keeping a good person from their child.)

This is a smart, sexy, emotional read that is very satisfying. The relationship between Ben and Michael is both parent/child and man-to-man. Michael is an old soul and while he may be only 15, his maturity level is way beyond that, thanks in part to his upbringing by Emma. There is never any drama between the two but there are definitely a few teary moments for the reader as Michael and Ben bond. Michael has an unusual yet extremely loving relationship with his Aunt Emma, or Nemmy as he calls her. Watching Emma go through the emotions when she thinks she is "losing" Michael is heart rending. As for Ben and Emma, the romance is slow to start but ignites with a passion when lit. Ben is definitely an alpha male but he's not a chest beater and his attempts to be dominant over a strong willed Emma are somewhat comic yet touching.

Throw in a one-antlered lovestruck Moose, a protective German Shepherd and a town full of colorful characters and you come away with a very nice afternoon read.

A-/B+

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tempt Me If You Can.

Debbie Just recently bought this one. Have not read it yet.

message 2: by Sobia (new)

Sobia I've seen her books around but your review makes me want to give Janet Chapman a try! But can I ask, does she write more cutesy, sweeter stories? Or spicier ones? I read both, but like to know what I'm getting into!

Thanks for the review!

Debbie I kind of think she can be a combination of both.

Susan I love janet Chapman's books. A fair amount of spice, and really good stories.