Joel's Reviews > From Bauhaus to Our House

From Bauhaus to Our House by Tom Wolfe

Mar 16, 10

Read in February, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

An acerbic critique of modern design and the uninspired forms which dominated American architecture in the post-war era through the 80s, Wolfe leaves no question about his stance on the issue.

His screed on the 'Yale box', its relations/derivations and their prolific propagation is unmitigated disgust. He also takes his shots at architects/designers themselves, in a number of asides and direct bullet-points.

This same topic is handled with far more care and context in Richard Sennett's The Conscience of the Eye: The Design and Social Life of Cities, among other discussions of the type. While Sennett is not himself enamored of the steel and glass, mile-high box design as representing the end-all of design theory, he approaches the subject with a keener eye.

Also missing from Conscience... and present in Wolfe's book is the jeering at the American artist who idolizes and emulates the European for their very European-ness. I think this is a fair point on his part, but is made rather bitterly, and nearly comes across as petty mockery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Bauhaus to Our House.