Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)'s Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 12, 2011

bookshelves: own-it, wolves-werewolves, favourite-epic, ebook, read-more-than-once, signed, epic-love, hardcover, fictional-crush, fav-author
Read from June 28 to July 19, 2010 , read count: 2x

There really isn't any words adequate enough to describe this book or how I felt upon closing it up... but I'm going to try. This is not a criticism... I LOVE that it's making me feel this way.

This installment was told from four different perspectives... Grace's, Sam's, Isabel's and Cole's. I was a little apprehensive about that at first... figuring it would confuse and frustrate me to no end... as well, I just wanted the story to be about Grace & Sam's world. But I had no reason to be worried... this cast of characters complimented each other very well. Their lives are so entwined together through the wolves regardless and each of their pov's enriched the story seamlessly. I cared for Cole's and Isabel's characters as much as Grace's and Sam's. They are all basically flawed and broken to some degree... they all carry baggage but they all grow and come to realizations throughout the story... pulling us right into their lives.

While Isabel's smaller role in Shiver was still very integral... she had a much larger part in Linger and it was profound... Isabel served as the catalyst to all three characters on more than one occasion. So there was good reason to include her point of view in this story. Her toughness is tempered by her insightfulness and tough love approach towards all three of the other central characters.

Cole was also introduced briefly in Shiver -- he was one of the three new "recruits" that Beck had in the back of his truck (of which had appalled Sam). In Linger, he, at first, comes across as pretty much a jerk and Sam has a definite dislike for him, while Isabel finds him handsome, intriguing and excitingly dangerous. But through *his* chapters, we learn what makes him tick and we learn to love and actually appreciate his character fully. I dare say that I *almost* liked him as much as Sam... almost!

We, of course, get lots of Grace & Sam time and they're still magical together... but there is definitely something very ominous hanging over their heads throughout this installment that we get the feeling is going to break our hearts (and theirs). Sam is still getting used to his ability to stay human, while Grace is coping with a mysterious illness and neither want to face the gravity and inevitability of it. Their time together is bittersweet.

Grace's parents continue to be the naive, immature and fairly irresponsible parents we all have come to know and love in Shiver (*include sarcastic tone*)... although we can add ignorantly oblivious to their resume in Linger. Exerting their parental claim on Grace was too little too late and totally without foundation. I especially loved it when Cole stood up to them on Sam and Grace's behalf. That's when I fell in love with Cole.

Upon reading the last few words of Linger, I felt deeply sad, totally fulfilled, and entirely hopeful! Much the same way as I felt upon closing up Shiver for the first time. Very few books leave me feeling this emotionally spent... but yet, very hopeful for that happily-ever-after in Forever for all four characters.

As understated as it sounds, this was just an awesome book!
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

03/06 marked as: read

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Great review, Michele. You said everything I was thinking when I finished Linger. It was just almost too much for me to even review I loved it so much. You worded it better than I did!

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Thanks Terry! I was hard to word how I felt about it... so the review almost turned into a novella!! lol!