Verodarling Melani's Reviews > Empress

Empress by Karen Miller

Mar 25, 14

Recommended for: people who like original fantasy and are not disgusted by to much blood
Read from March 13 to 14, 2010

I give this book 4 stars because the world Karen Miller creates is truly unique and she manages to make it terrifyingly real and complete. The story is different also. If, at the beginning, I felt pity for Hekat, at the end I couldn't feel one ounce of simpaty for her, on the contrary. It was a tiresome novel, the sacrifice and fight scenes (and there are a lot of those) are so bloody they sometimes become sickening. They remind me of the bloody rituals of the Incas. Also, like someone else said, the ritualistic language becomes tiresome towards the end. It's like the characters can't open their mouths without talking about being in the god's eye.
As I read the novel, I kept hoping someone, anyone would realize they are wrong, that their whole religion is wrong, but I guess, as this is the first book in the series, I was hoping for too much...
On the whole, this is a good and interesting novel. I'd like to read other Karen Miller series. But this series... I think I'll let some time pass before reading the second book (although I know the action takes place in another country and I'm curious about Zandakar - him, I like)

PS: I read a review where Hekat was described as "inhuman" and archetypal. I, for one, think she is not quite sane. I mean, not all the characters need to be "normal", no? And she definitely has the background of a psychotic person. Maybe that was the author's intention.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empress.