Ab's Reviews > Rubyfruit Jungle

Jul 14, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: feminist, queer-lit
Read on July 14, 2010

I'm torn between "it was okay" and "liked it," obviously I ultimately chose "it was okay" for a couple of reasons: The book was chock-full of ridiculousness. I mean, the main character is admittedly gay, but every single woman she 'hooks up' with is straight, and turn to her out of curiosity and experimentation and novelty. And she continually puts up with it and hooks up with them, while giving a little resistance with the whole "I don't hook up with straight girls" thing. And then, when she does get to a lesbian bar, there are two options: label as 'butch' or label as 'femme'. It's obvious the time period this book was written in, because you see the workings of feminists who are anti-butch or anything to do with maleness, and you see pure lesbian feminists who are exclusive of anything else around them. It was definitely an interesting read, though not the best written thing. I've still got to pick up Venus Envy to see what that's about, regardless of the impression this book gave me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rubyfruit Jungle.