Kati's Reviews > Where Angels Fear to Tread

Apr 27, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: straight, 2010, in-english, urban-fantasy, work-reviews
Read from April 25 to 27, 2010

This book disappointed me on so many levels, but I'll name just a few:

a) Multiple POVs. Only about a half of the book is actually about Remy or told from his POV. The rest is about the bad guys or their victims. I really do not care to read about what the baddie's thinking when he fries someone to death or when he pumps someone full of bullets. Really, I don't.

b) Remember the apocalyptic doom of book 2? Non-existent here. Remy mentions it once or twice but after that, it's forgotten. I hoped that after the whole thing reached its peak at the end of book 2, that there would be some pay-off, some solution, something. But no, Remy simply goes his way, solving cases like nothing happened. It was a let-down.

c) The cruelty. It seemed as if the author felt the need to drench the book in blood. I mean, one of the characters - can't say who without spoiling the twist! - lost all his children in the fight! Thirty of them ranging from teens to mid-twenties. And Delilah just enjoyed hurting and maiming and killing. No, just no.

The only positive thing was Marlowe the Dog and Mulvehill, Remy's friend - but the cop was just in a handful of scenes.

Disappointed. Really disappointed. I expected much more from Sniegoski.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Angels Fear to Tread.

04/25/2010 page 13
04/27/2010 page 184
63.89% "I don't like the multiple POVs. Skipping most of them."
show 1 hidden update…