jess's Reviews > Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting and Roots: An Adventure in Small Miracles

Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting and Roots by Thomas DeBaggio

Mar 14, 10

bookshelves: 2010, growing
Read in March, 2010

The subtitle of this book ("an adventure in small miracles") should give you an idea of the reverence and appreciation this author has for plant propagation. I immediately liked it because I felt the kinship of plant nerdery calling to me. DeBaggio's focus here is herbs, but I imagine he could discuss endlessly vegetables, flowers or ornamental foliage with the same gusto. There is real love here for the plant and the process. Generally speaking, this is a seed-starting, rooting, cutting, grafting, transplanting, and sustaining manual. It's a small book, but if you stay away from the deep biology of the process, that's really all you need. I got it because there are some crazy feral herbs growing in clumps in my backyard and I'm vaguely interested in helping them spread to other parts of the yard. Additionally, plant propagation (growing from seeds, rooting, grafting, cuttings, etc) is a critical way of getting good varieties of plants for lower prices. We don't all need to go buy rosemary & lavender plants if we can get free cuttings from varieties that already do well where we live and we know they perform well & taste good. Especially if you get into collecting or using the more expensive medicinal or culinary herbs, it can be crucial to propagate them and save money.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Herbs from Seed, Cutting and Roots.