P.J.'s Reviews > Amy's Light

Amy's Light by Robert Nutt

Sep 27, 11

Read in March, 2010

Amy’s Light follows Amy on her journey through an especially dark night. We start with Amy’s terror as she hides from the shadows on her walls and end with her realization that she has within herself the ability to keep the shadows at bay. On this path, we discover and explore and learn about the world around us while working through Amy’s fear.

Even amid Amy’s fright, the light of fireflies draws her outside where she dances in the joy of the mysterious wonder. Amy captures the fireflies in a jar and brings them back to her room to help illuminate the darkness. But in captivity, the fireflies being to dim. Amy, realizing this, lets them go and discovers she doesn’t need them after all.

Amy’s Light is highly recommended for younger children who love discovering the wonders of nature. Its playful rhyme and succinct text makes it approachable and fun to read aloud, and the photo-illustrations based on the author’s daughter will draw children in and help them relate to the main character. Plan to read this one many times over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amy's Light.