Debby's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: favorites

"I have this disease late at night sometimes, involving alcohol and the telephone." I do not feel so all alone.

"Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time...He has seen birth and death many times, he says, and pays random visits to all events in between."

"Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops." Ah yes, the building blocks of life that make sense to Americans.

"She upset Billy simply by being his mother. She made him feel embarassed and ungrateful and weak because she had gone to so much trouble to give him life and keep that life going, and Billy didn't really like life at all." This may well articulate that love/hate mother thing. Hmmm.

"How nice-to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."

"There are people to lynch? Who? People not well connected. So it goes."

Kilgore Trout's unpopularity was well deserved. His prose was frightful. Only his ideas were good."

"The United States has been Balkanized, has been divided into twenty petty nations so that it will never again be a threat to world peace." How's that for foreign policy.

"All the great chefs in th eworld are there. It's a beautiful ceremony...Just before the casket was closed, the mourners sprinkle parsley and paprika on the deceased." I like this image.

"Rumford was thinking in a military manner: that an inconvenient person, one whose death he wished for very much, for practical reasons, was suffering from a repulsive disease."

Page 139's address of revenge, brilliant. Yes, indeed this is one hell of an anti-war book.
I like what Howard W. Campbell has to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.