Rebecca's Reviews > Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer

Inside the Mind of BTK by John E. Douglas

Mar 21, 10

bookshelves: reference-books
Read from March 14 to 21, 2010, read count: 1

I don't typically quote "the author on the author," but I think something from the last few pages of the book is very illustrative: "People often ask me why I want to write books about inhuman monsters like [BTK:]. My answer is always the same: I've always believed that by taking the sensationalism out of the crimes, I can destroy the myth. I describe the gory details out of their crimes, but never try and sensationalize their actions." I think that about sums it up. The book is detailed, and intense, but even at its most graphic it doesn't cross that hard-to-define line into lurid or disgusting (beyond what's required for the subject material, I guess). The matter-of-fact writing style does take some of the edge off the details, which is not to say that it ever gets boring! It's a very detailed and highly enjoyable read, if you have the stomach for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Mind of BTK.